Friday, February 26, 2010

materials

A few of you had some questions about what supplies to gather. I like to use a kind of unbleached linen called Osnaburg. It's considered a utility fabric and is rather cheap...less than $5 a yard. Fabric stores should carry it and it's usually by the cotton duck fabrics.

I use a ruler and a sharp pencil to draw the grid. The easiest way to draw the grid is to use a ruler that is an inch wide that way you can line it up with the last line while drawing the next line. When you line up the ruler, try to line it up with the grain of the fabric.

I always use a hoop for embroidering. It's a personal preference...I just like having the fabric pulled tight. For this project, I'm going to use a very large quilting hoop. In the past I've started with small hoops and graduate to larger hoops as the project grows.

You'll need a variety of embroidery needles including ones with larger eyes and some sharps and embroidery floss. Also gather a bunch of embellishments you're inspired by...fabric bits, ribbons, lace, buttons, flowers, beads, etc. Keep them handy and visible.

I'm going to stitch the outlines of the squares as I go but you could leave it for the end if you prefer.

I'll post a picture on Sunday of the materials I've gathered, including the palette of floss I've selected.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the tips, Amy!

    I don't have a blog, but I do plan to "stich along"--March is my bday month, also. However I will need to do 51 (!!!! how did that happen?!!!!!) squares. Well, may be I'll just pretend to be 31 this year, ha-ha!

    kathleen

    ReplyDelete